Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Tribute to Maryann Hassan

Since we have no city gates in our land, I must praise this good woman on the internet.

Her children rise up and call her happy;
   her husband too, and he praises her:
“Many women have done excellently,
   but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
   but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
Give her a share in the fruit of her hands,
   and let her works praise her in the city gates.
Proverbs 31:28-31

I had the blessing of going to an amazing funeral for an amazing woman. My kids pointed out the occupancy sign in the back: Maximum capacity 998. It was standing room only, and there were people lined up around the periphery of the church.

I met the Hassans through Seton School. I had heard about a family whose mom was sick with cancer and not expected to live. It took me two years to realize that there were not two Hassan families at the school. Maryann, with her gracious smile and never a word of complaint was actually the sick one!

Please help me to praise her "in the city gates".

Requiescat in pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment